Add EVENT to my Outlook Calendar
Add REGISTRATION REMINDER to my Outlook Calendar
Via Ferrata Rock Climbing & Camping
|Event Location:||Nelson Rocks Preserve, Seneca Rocks Area, WV|
|Date(s) & Time:||Fri, Jul 13 2007 6:00 pm (Carpool Departure: 6:00 pm *log in for location*)|
|Registration Opens:||Sat, Jun 23 2007 12:00 am|
|Registration Cut Off:||Sat, Jul 7 2007 12:59 pm|
|Event Duration:||All Weekend|
|Difficulty Rating:||D3: Moderate|
|Event Organizer(s):||KC Yi|
Email Event Organizer(s)
You must be logged in to get the Event Organizer contact information.
|Member Cost:||$56.00/Person (See Detailed Cost Info Below)|
|Who's Invited:||Members Only, 18 And Older Only|
|Maximum Group Size:||18|
|Minimum Group Size:||16|
|Number Registered So Far:||14 / 0 (To see who's signed up, log in to the Member Area)|
|Are Dogs Permitted:||No|
|Okay folks. Here is your chance to be on top of the world and conquer your fear of heights. Or not. Have you seen my pictures? You get to not only hang on the side of a shear cliff hundreds of feet up, but you get to walk across a 200 foot suspension bridge, stepping on 2 x 4 spaced about 2 feet apart, oh about 150 feet up in the air. Sounds fun, eh? And the bridge shakes and swings when you get to the middle. Here is how the website describes it:|
"A via ferrata (Italian for "iron way") is a type of mountain climbing route with a safety system permanently installed, making the climb suitable for persons with no prior training and minimal equipment. The climber is attached at all times to a steel cable which runs along the entire route; no climbing rope is generally required. Steel rungs, ladders, bridges and similar structures are used to keep the climbing from becoming too difficult, while providing access to high, vertical faces and extreme mountain terrain which would otherwise be accessible only to experienced, roped climbing parties."
On Saturday, well leave the campground 9:00 am and get to the outfitter around 9:30 am. The climb will take less than 3 hours. Afterwards, we can play games, i.e. frisbee, bocco, etc., make dinner, drink, and have a jolly good time. Did I mention that we can drink?
The outfitter will provide the harness and lanyards. However, you are welcome to use your own climbing harness. As for shoes, a good pair of hiking shoes will suffice. A pair of close fitting glove is useful, but not necessary.
On Sunday, we’ll break camp and, if people want, we’ll go on a short hike before heading back. If it rains on Saturday, we’ll try to climb on Sunday.
The campsite is rather large, but we have to stay on five small (13 x 14) pads. The site description states that it can accommodate 40. I doubt that unless we’re talking about half-sized people who really, really like each other. Therefore, bring a small tent, unless you will be sharing with several people. If you bring a large tent and I have to share your tent, I will fart and snore. Seneca Shadow campground do not allow camping on the grass or stringing hammocks.
There is a full bathroom with sink, toilet and shower. I have heard though that the water flow in the shower leaves much to be desired or a streaming flow for that matter.
I will provide for group dinner on Saturday night. It will most likely be some sort of meat dish. You will need to bring food for Saturday and Sunday breakfast, and Saturday lunch. I’ll provide coffee. Anything else is on your own. There are five picnic tables and grill located at the site. I will have a stove and plenty of propane.
|How to Get There:|
|Event Directions:||- Take I-66 west to I-81 south.|
- At the second exit south of the I-66/I-81 interchange near Strasburg, take Rt. 55 west into West Virginia.
- Proceed through the towns of Wardensville, Moorefield and Petersburg
(staying always on Rt. 55, watch for signs) to Seneca Rocks.
- Rt. 55 becomes Rt. 55/33.
- Seneca Shadows will be on the right about 1 mile south of Seneca Rocks.
- Group Campsite E.
|Carpool to Event Distance (round trip):||0Mile(s)|
|Carpool Departure Time:||6:00 pm|
|Carpool Location:||Log in for location|
|Carpool Directions:||Log in for directions|
- Registration is NOT COMPLETE until you've signed up and paid by the registration cut off date. The money must be in the MOC's possession by that date. No exceptions.|
- When a minimum group size appears, this is to let you know that the event will be cancelled with refunds to those who have already paid, if the minimum number of registered participants is not met. For any events where MOC needs a minimum number of participants, there will be absolutely no refunds of money if you or your guest(s) cancel.
- We encourage all members to follow our Etiquette Guidelines at all times while participating in MOC events.
- Details of this event are subject to undergo a change at any point in time, with or without warning.
- Questions about equipment or rentals? Send them to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Notice any errors or problems in the information on this page? Please notify our Content Editor(s), Amy Lipsius, at email@example.com.
|Cost & Payment:|
|Cost Includes:||Via Ferrata; Saturday dinner.|
|Payment Cut Off:||Payment must be received by the MOC on Sat, Jul 7 2007.|
|Make a Payment:||Click here for the details. PLEASE PAY AFTER YOU HAVE SIGNED UP BELOW.|
Please review our Cancellation Policy carefully!