Add EVENT to my Outlook Calendar
Add REGISTRATION REMINDER to my Outlook Calendar
Difficult Hike at Little Devils Staircase
|Event Location:||Shenandoah National Park, VA|
|Date(s) & Time:||Sun, Oct 29 2006 9:45 am (Carpool Departure: 8:00 am *log in for location*)|
|Registration Opens:||Thu, Oct 12 2006 12:00 am|
|Registration Cut Off:||Thu, Oct 26 2006 12:59 pm|
|Event Duration:||5 Hours|
|Difficulty Rating:||D4: Moderate to Difficult|
|Event Organizer(s):||Deanna Shapiro|
Email Event Organizer(s)
You must be logged in to get the Event Organizer contact information.
|Who's Invited:||Members Only, 18 And Older Only|
|Maximum Group Size:||14|
|Minimum Group Size:||5|
|Number Registered So Far:||13 / 0 (To see who's signed up, log in to the Member Area)|
|Are Dogs Permitted:||No|
|Little Devils Staircase (located in Shenandoah National Park), is a difficult 7.8 mile hike including a 2000 ft elevation gain and several difficult spots to navigate through. If you are in for the challenge, this scramble up a steep, rocky ravine along Keyser Run is more than worth the spectacular views of almost continuous waterfalls. The trail slowly winds upwards to the stream and a small waterfall. Be prepared to possibly get your feet wet -- it crosses a small stream not just once, but several times. Also be careful of the deceptively slippery rocks. After you have cooled off in the water a little, get ready for some hands and knees action as you scramble for the next mile over huge boulders in this narrow gorge. Don't worry about getting lost - it is difficult to get lost between the two high rock walls beside you. Once you are out of the canyon, cruise down the mountains on the Keyser Run Fire Road, passing the Bolen Cemetery along the way. |
We will meet at the trail head at 9:45 am and head up the trail at around 10 am. We will stop along the trail for lunch. After the hike, there is an optional dinner or snack stop, depending on what time we finish.
|How to Get There:|
|Event Directions:||1. Take 95 South to 495 West toward Silver Spring.|
2. Merge onto I-66 West (Exit 49) toward Manassas/ Front Royal
3. Get onto Lee Hwy/ US 29 South via exit 43a Gainesville/ Warrenton
4. Merge onto US-211 W/ US-29 BR S toward US-15 Bus/ Warrenton/ Luray
5. Make a right onto Rt 622
6. Make a left onto Rt 614.
7. Route 614 becomes a gravel road. Follow it to the end (approximately 3 miles).
8. Park at gravel parking area.
|Carpool to Event Distance (round trip):||0Mile(s)|
|Carpool Departure Time:||8:00 am|
|Carpool Location:||Log in for location|
|Carpool Directions:||Log in for directions|
- We encourage all members to follow our Etiquette Guidelines at all times while participating in MOC events.|
- Details of this event are subject to undergo a change at any point in time, with or without warning.
- Questions about equipment or rentals? Send them to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Notice any errors or problems in the information on this page? Please notify our Content Editor(s), Amy Lipsius, at email@example.com.
Please review our Cancellation Policy carefully!