Add EVENT to my Outlook Calendar
Add REGISTRATION REMINDER to my Outlook Calendar
Dolly Sods Backpacking Trip
|Event Location:||Dolly Sods, Monongahela National Forest, WV|
|Date(s) & Time:||Fri, Apr 21 2006 7:00 pm (Carpool Departure: 6:45 pm *log in for location*)|
|Registration Opens:||Tue, Apr 4 2006 12:00 am|
|Registration Cut Off:||Tue, Apr 18 2006 12:59 pm|
|Event Duration:||2 nights, 2 days|
|Difficulty Rating:||D5: Difficult|
|Event Organizer(s):||Meir Gottlieb|
Email Event Organizer(s)
You must be logged in to get the Event Organizer contact information.
|Who's Invited:||Members Only, 18 And Older Only|
|Maximum Group Size:||8|
|Minimum Group Size:||2|
|Number Registered So Far:||6 / 0 (To see who's signed up, log in to the Member Area)|
|Are Dogs Permitted:||No|
“Dolly Sods is an area of high elevation wind-swept plains on the Allegheny Plateau. At elevations of 2,600 to over 4,000 feet, the area has extensive flat rocky plains, upland bogs, beaver ponds, and sweeping vistas. The plant life and climate on this high plateau resembles northern Canada, and many species found here are near their southernmost range.”
- Dolly Sods Wilderness. Andy Hiltz (www.patc.net).
We’ll meet Friday after work at the carpool location, drive up to Dolly Sods, dine on the way, and car camp at Red Creek Campground. Saturday we’ll walk 14 miles through Dolly Sods North, camping near the Left Fork of Red Creek. On Sunday we’ll cover 13 miles through the wilderness area, down into the canyon and back, completing our loop.
Because of the elevation and weather patterns, spring comes late to Dolly Sods. Expect winter-like weather on this trip.
Dolly Sods is known for being a wet place and you should be prepared to hike in wet shoes. The trails in the north can turn into rivers during rain and are often muddy. Additionally, there will be more than a dozen stream crossings including two fords of Red Creek which can be waist deep after a storm (there is a detour if we cannot cross Red Creek.)
The trails in Dolly Sods are not blazed and some intersections are easy to miss. We will be covering about ten trails during the trip so it will be important to stay together.
The intended itinerary is for 13-14 miles a day. Do not sign up if you’re not used to carrying a backpack for at least 10 miles a day. Make sure you have money for dinner and to share gas for the carpool.
A map of the area is available here.
A good description of the region is here and here.
Great pictures here.
Thanks to Mike at www.midatlantichikes.com for his help in planning the trip and to Jonathan at www.jonathanjessup.com for the listing pictures.
|How to Get There:|
|Event Directions:||From Baltimore:|
Take 95 S to 495 W and then follow directions from D.C.
1. I-495 West
2. Exit 49 - I-66 West to Manassas/Front Royal – go 64 mi
3. Exit 1A - I-81 South to Roanoke – go 3.9 mi
4. Exit 296 – VA-55 / WV-55 – go 47.2 mi – through Wardensville and Moorefield
5. In Moorefield WV-55 becomes WV-55/US-220 south – go 14 mi to Petersburg
6. In Petersburg, make a right then left, following WV-55 and it becomes 55/28
7. Make a right on Jordan Run road – go 7 mi (do NOT turn on FR19)
8. Make a left on FR75 which is a dirt road
10. Down FR75, Red Creek Campground will be on the right
|Carpool to Event Distance (round trip):||0Mile(s)|
|Carpool Departure Time:||6:45 pm|
|Carpool Location:||Log in for location|
|Carpool Directions:||Log in for directions|
- We encourage all members to follow our Etiquette Guidelines at all times while participating in MOC events.|
- Details of this event are subject to undergo a change at any point in time, with or without warning.
- Questions about equipment or rentals? Send them to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Notice any errors or problems in the information on this page? Please notify our Content Editor(s), Amy Lipsius, at email@example.com.
Please review our Cancellation Policy carefully!