Add EVENT to my Outlook Calendar
Add REGISTRATION REMINDER to my Outlook Calendar
Hike! Camp! Fifteenmile Creek!
|Event Location:||Green Ridge State Forest. near Flintstone, MD.|
|Date(s) & Time:||Sat, Aug 13 2011 9:30 am (Carpool Departure: 7:00 am *log in for location*)|
|Registration Opens:||Thu, Jul 28 2011 12:00 am|
|Registration Cut Off:||Thu, Aug 11 2011 12:59 pm|
|Event Duration:||1 day and 1 night|
|Difficulty Rating:||D4: Moderate to Difficult|
|Event Organizer(s):||Nate Payer|
Email Event Organizer(s)
You must be logged in to get the Event Organizer contact information.
|Member Cost:||$11.00/Person (See Detailed Cost Info Below)|
|Who's Invited:||Members Only, 18 And Older Only|
|Maximum Group Size:||14|
|Minimum Group Size:||5|
|Number Registered So Far:||5 / 0 (To see who's signed up, log in to the Member Area)|
|Are Dogs Permitted:||No|
|Yes, we know it’s last minute, but we know there’re a lot of you out there who’d love to do a long Saturday hike and a little bit of camping to top it off.
Hike! Camp! Fifteen Mile Creek! continues Nate’s “Ridge & Valley” series which started farther south down at Wolf Gap on Great North Mountain on the VA/WV border back in April. Now we’re in Green Ridge State Forest in western Maryland. This forest lies in a rain shadow between the Allegheny Highlands and the Blue Ridge Mountains. Its steep, rugged slopes are populated by a variety of oaks, hickory, and pines.|
On Saturday, enjoy a 9 to 10 mile hike along the slopes, ridgelines, and ravines near Fifteenmile Creek as it cuts across the narrow ridges to create beautiful coves and rich bottomlands protected from the summer sun. The north facing slopes contain many eastern hemlocks (preserved from disease by the MD Dept. of Agriculture) which cast deep shade on rocky hillsides and flats made of red shale. The hike will likely be a partial loop and some out and back and a very brief shortcut up a small ravine. Green Ridge contains many “wilderness” like sections and many designated state Wildlands. With any luck, we will be able to enjoy a refreshing dip in Fifteenmile Creek if the water levels are high enough.
In the evening we will make camp in 3 or 4 adjacent dispersed campsites nearby. These sites can generally accommodate two, 2-man tents for 4 people per site. We will reserve these sites upon arrival in the morning prior to beginning the hike.
We will provide a grilling-based dinner for Saturday night. So be prepared to pack lunch and any other snacks and breakfast food for yourself. Water availability is limited, so plan on bringing extra supply of water as there are no pumps at campsites. The MOC has equipment rental if you are in need of supplies. Please let the organizer know upon registering if you need any equipment and if you are either bringing a tent, need to be provided a tent, or have one and are willing to share.
|How to Get There:|
|Event Directions:||From Washington, D.C./Baltimore: (Travel time approximately 2 hours.) Take I-70 west to I-68 west. Take exit #64 (M.V. Smith Road). Make a right onto M.V. Smith Road. The Headquarters Drive is on the right after crossing I-68.|
|Carpool to Event Distance (round trip):||0Mile(s)|
|Carpool Departure Time:||7:00 am|
|Carpool Location:||Log in for location|
|Carpool Directions:||Log in for directions|
- Registration is NOT COMPLETE until you've signed up and paid by the registration cut off date. The money must be in the MOC's possession by that date. No exceptions.|
- When a minimum group size appears, this is to let you know that the event will be cancelled with refunds to those who have already paid, if the minimum number of registered participants is not met. For any events where MOC needs a minimum number of participants, there will be absolutely no refunds of money if you or your guest(s) cancel.
- We encourage all members to follow our Etiquette Guidelines at all times while participating in MOC events.
- Details of this event are subject to undergo a change at any point in time, with or without warning.
- Questions about equipment or rentals? Send them to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Notice any errors or problems in the information on this page? Please notify our Content Editor(s), Amy Lipsius, at email@example.com.
|Cost & Payment:|
|Cost Includes:||campsite reservation and dinner|
|Payment Cut Off:||Payment must be received by the MOC on Thu, Aug 11 2011.|
|Make a Payment:||Click here for the details. PLEASE PAY AFTER YOU HAVE SIGNED UP BELOW.|
Please review our Cancellation Policy carefully!