Add EVENT to my Outlook Calendar
Add REGISTRATION REMINDER to my Outlook Calendar
Maryland Heights Spring Kickoff
|Event Location:||Harpers Ferry, MD|
|Date(s) & Time:||Sun, Mar 21 2010 10:00 am (Carpool Departure: 9:00 am *log in for location*)|
|Registration Opens:||Thu, Mar 4 2010 12:00 am|
|Registration Cut Off:||Thu, Mar 18 2010 12:59 pm|
|Event Duration:||4 Hours|
|Difficulty Rating:||D3: Moderate|
|Event Organizer(s):||Paul Shaklan|
Email Event Organizer(s)
You must be logged in to get the Event Organizer contact information.
|Who's Invited:||Members Only, 18 And Older Only|
|Maximum Group Size:||13|
|Minimum Group Size:||2|
|Number Registered So Far:||11 / 0 (To see who's signed up, log in to the Member Area)|
|Are Dogs Permitted:||No|
Come one, come all, to the second event in the Maryland Outdoor Club's Spring Kickoff Series. We'll be celebrating the beginning of Spring (and the demise of Winter) with a hike of Maryland Heights. We'll meet at the Harpers Ferry National Historic Park Visitor's center at 10:00AM and take the Park Service shuttle into the town of Harpers Ferry. From town, we'll hike across the Potomac (don't worry... there's a bridge) and west on the C&O canal to connect to the Stone Fort and Overlook Cliff trails which will complete our six-mile circuit back to Harpers Ferry. We'll break at the cliffs to snack and enjoy a view of the Harpers Ferry.
Although the event officially concludes upon crossing the bridge back into Harper's Ferry, participants are encouraged to take full advantage of Harper's Ferrys various lunch (and ice cream) options. We certainly will.
Note that the trail includes a steep climb towards the beginning, the trail may still be snow covered and that there are no restrooms or water supplies along the route.
|How to Get There:|
|Event Directions:||From Northern Virginia:|
* From Interstate 495 West take the left exit (EXIT 45) and merge onto VA-267 West, the Dulles Toll Road (stay in local lanes, not express airport traffic lanes) / Dulles Greenway toward Leesburg (Portions toll).
* Follow to Exit 1, VA-7 W on the left toward Leesburg/Warrenton.
* Take the VA-9 exit toward Hillsboro / Charles Town, WV merging to the right onto Charles Town Pike / VA-9.
* After approximately 10 miles on VA-9 you will come to a light where you will bear right onto VA-671 N / Harpers Ferry Road. Follow this road until it ends at the lighted intersection of US 340 / Jefferson Pike.
* Turn left onto 340. Follow US-340 N to the four way intersection in Harpers Ferry (approximately 2.5 miles), staying in the left lane.
* Turn left at the light (you will see a large sign for the Park) and continue through to the entrance station.
* Take I-695 (Baltimore Beltway) west toward Catonsville/Towson
* Exit onto I-70 west toward Frederick, Maryland
* Continue west on I-70 past Frederick for about 1 mile
* Take Exit #52 onto U.S. Route 340 (Charles Town and Leesburg exit)
* Continue south/west on U.S. Route 340 to Harpers Ferry (22 miles)
* Cross the Potomac and Shenandoah rivers
* After crossing second bridge (Shenandoah River) proceed to stoplight at top of hill. Turn left into the main entrance of the park.
|Carpool to Event Distance (round trip):||0Mile(s)|
|Carpool Departure Time:||9:00 am|
|Carpool Location:||Log in for location|
|Carpool Directions:||Log in for directions|
- We encourage all members to follow our Etiquette Guidelines at all times while participating in MOC events.|
- Details of this event are subject to undergo a change at any point in time, with or without warning.
- Questions about equipment or rentals? Send them to email@example.com.
- Notice any errors or problems in the information on this page? Please notify our Content Editor(s), Amy Lipsius, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please review our Cancellation Policy carefully!