Add EVENT to my Outlook Calendar
Add REGISTRATION REMINDER to my Outlook Calendar
Very Difficult Strickler Knob Hike
|Event Location:||11 miles west of Luray, VA|
|Date(s) & Time:||Sat, Apr 11 2009 9:30 am (Carpool Departure: 7:30 am *log in for location*)|
|Registration Opens:||Wed, Mar 25 2009 12:00 am|
|Registration Cut Off:||Wed, Apr 8 2009 12:59 pm|
|Event Duration:||6 hours|
|Difficulty Rating:||D5: Difficult|
|Event Organizer(s):||Lucas Fisher|
Email Event Organizer(s)
You must be logged in to get the Event Organizer contact information.
|Who's Invited:||Members Only, 18 And Older Only|
|Maximum Group Size:||20|
|Minimum Group Size:||4|
|Number Registered So Far:||8 / 0 (To see who's signed up, log in to the Member Area)|
|Are Dogs Permitted:||No|
|The is a VERY difficult hike with several very steep climbs and descents, and rock scrambling. You must be prepared for strenuous physical activity and should have previous experience hiking 10+ miles with 2000 ft total elevation gains. THIS HIKE IS NOT FOR BEGINNERS.|
With that out of the way, this 9.1 mile hike has been compared to Old Rag without the crowds. Yes, we could have taken the easy way, but what would be the fun in that! :) Your efforts will be rewarded with several grand views of the surrounding valley and 360 views of western Virginia. More fun comes with the rock scramble up to the top of Strickler Knob.
See the full hike description here.
Bad weather could cancel this hike because of the steepness of the trails and rock scrambling involved. You will be notified by email the day before the hike if it is canceled.
|How to Get There:|
|Event Directions:||Directions from carpool and |
1. Take I-66 West 47 miles
towards Front Royal.
2. Take exit 13 for VA-79 towards
3. Turn left on Apple Mountain
Rd. Go 0.2 miles.
4. Turn right on VA-55. Go 5
5. Turn left on South US-340. Go
6. Just before Luray turn left
onto West US-211/South US-340.
7. Continue following US-211 for
8. Turn right on Forestry
Development Rd 274/Crimson Hollow
Rd (on the right just past the
Massanutten Visitor's Center. Go
9. Park at trail head on the
|Carpool to Event Distance (round trip):||0Mile(s)|
|Carpool Departure Time:||7:30 am|
|Carpool Location:||Log in for location|
|Carpool Directions:||Log in for directions|
- We encourage all members to follow our Etiquette Guidelines at all times while participating in MOC events.|
- Details of this event are subject to undergo a change at any point in time, with or without warning.
- Questions about equipment or rentals? Send them to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Notice any errors or problems in the information on this page? Please notify our Content Editor(s), Amy Lipsius, at email@example.com.
Please review our Cancellation Policy carefully!